photo home_zpsd143792f.png photo About_zpsce4e5ab7.png photo portfolio_zps5df6240e.png photo NavBar5Photos_zpsc8efe369.png photo contact_zps2ba4ac0e.png

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday - Scrap Fabric Skirt

Photobucket
This week I have been super busy sewing gowns for my shop - The Mended Heart. It has made for delays here on this sweet little blog of mine. I apologize! Last week I did really well prepping posts the night before! But add busy shop orders to Halloween festivities and you get one busy Mama! 

Today's tutorial is easy and one I wanted to share because these skirts literally took me less than an hour to make! I wanted my girls to have something to wear to church that wasn't spooky Halloweeny but cute Halloweeny...the scrap fabric skirt was my solution!

Photobucket

Here's the tutorial:

Supplies needed:
- Elastic
- Scissors
- Scrap Fabric
- Sewing machine (not pictured)

Photobucket

Step 1) First you need to measure your daughter's waist to see how big the skirt will need to be. This will be how much elastic you need to cut. Don't worry about leaving extra to sew the elastic together, these skirts make it stretch out a little, so you may need to measure just an inch or two under what her waist size is.

(Sorry I don't have photos for this step or the next. I decided to do this tutorial after I had made the skirts.)

Step 2) Next, sew the ends of your elastic together to form a circle. I used a zig zag stitch on my machine and just back stitched about an inch and then stitched and back stitched again. I find this to secure it well.

Step 3) Now you need to cut your fabric into strips. For my three year old's skirt I cut them 3 inches wide by 20 inches long. Remember, you will be folding these in half to tie around the elastic, it will make them shorter than what you cut. For my 1 year old I did 3 inches wide by 12 inches long. You decide what length you want them to be.The best part about this step is you don't have to cut perfect, that's what makes them unique! I also angled some of the strips to add variety to the skirt. Have fun, and be creative!

Photobucket

Step 4) Now take your elastic and put a strip of fabric behind it.

Photobucket

Step 5) Next tie the fabric strip into a knot. I did double knots for Rylee's (my 3 year old) skirt and ended up not wanting to do them when I got to Mylah's. You can do either, I think single knots hold just fine. 

Photobucket

Step 6) Adjust the fabric strip to your liking and then repeat Step 5. Once you have gone all the way around your elastic, you've finish your skirt!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I hope this tutorial is useful, I paired Rylee's skirt with a cute cardigan, some black tights, and some black boots. It's such a versatile skirt and super cute with most everything!
 She received many compliments on her skirt!

Here's my princess in her outfit! And though she appears to be squatting or something, she's not, she's sitting on the hay bale. It turned out to be a weird shot and is from my phone. :/

Photobucket

Good luck and as always, if you have questions, email me! 
Have an awesome day!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment